cooking,

Roasted Tomato Soup

15:39:00 Unknown 0 Comments

For those who knows me, knows I LOVE food. But what they don’t know is that I have NEVER made soup from scratch. Ok, maybe once in Highschool’s cooking class doing a french onion soup, but that is it! I make soup out of the can.

So after months and months spent on Pinterest, and pinning various soup recipes I might add, I finally decided on Kitchen Runway's Roasted Tomato Soup. You can find the recipe I used here.


I did improvised a little when purchasing my ingredients… I had a little “trouble” finding some specific items…so I improvised a little, here are the changes I made… The recipe called for:

1 lb of heirloom tomatoes - store didn’t have “heirloom” so I opped for tomatoes on the vine, about 5 of them

2 lbs of plum tomatoes, quartered - plum tomatoes? I picked up 5 regular red tomatoes… not sure if it’s 2lbs or not
.
8 cloves of garlic, peeled - I have a jar of chopped garlic at home, so I just chucked 2 table spoons into the soup

½ C heavy cream - instead of using heavy cream, I used 2% milk….and 1 table spoon of cream cheese.

Oh and I also added 2 cans of crab meat into the soup!

On another note, I picked up a $9.99 CAD immersion blender from the Real Canadian Superstore just for this soup. And I LOVED my purchase. The blender (what’s the difference between a $10 one than a $50 one aside from the multiple speed?) worked wonders. I did however learned to not pull the blender out of the soup when my finger is still holding the on button down…


I made a giant pot of this Roasted Tomato Soup, and it lasted me about a week. The soup turned out great… my boyfriend was thrilled to hear I didn’t use heavy cream, but just 2% milk… I dilemma though, I use to love going to Burgoo for their Crab Bisque.. well let’s just say mine tastes about the same :)

0 comments: